Made this savory stove top tomato & egg dish, last week. SHASHUKA is a simple North African dish of eggs cooked in tomato sauce. I made the tomato sauce with cherry tomatoes I had leftover in the fridge & some marinara I froze. Served it with crusty bread & it was oh so satisfying!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, sliced
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 8 cherry tomatoes
- 2 cups marinara sauce or tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup fresh spinach
- 3 large eggs
- Dash of sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Crusty bread, for serving
- Heat the olive oil in medium sauté pan. Add the onion, garlic and tomatoes. Cook until the tomatoes are blistered.
- Add the marinara and cook until heated through.
- Add the fresh spinach.
- Make a hole for each egg. Once the eggs are placed in each hole, leave the heat on simmer and cover the pan with foil. After about 5 minutes, check to see if the eggs are done. If not, cover again and continue to check until the eggs achieve the desired doneness.
- Add a few grinds of black pepper and serve warm with bread.