I was always too intimidated to make popovers. After trying several different methods this is my favorite recipe. These popovers are light and fluffy. All you need is some fruit and coffee for a full breakfast. You can also make savory gruyere popovers with just a little tweak. Check it out!
Make Gruyere Popovers: Omit the vanilla, sugar, cinnamon. Add 1 tsp salt. Top with 1-2 TBS grated gruyere cheese.
- 2 cups milk
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 2 TBS sugar
- Dash salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Cinnamon sugar for topping
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place the popover pan in the oven.
- Gently warm milk in a saucepan. When heated through set aside.
- Whisk the eggs until frothy and slowly whisk into the warmed milk. Add in the vanilla and set aside.
- Sift the flour, sugar, salt & cinnamon. Add to the milk mixture & whisk until almost smooth.
- Remove the popover pan from the oven and lightly grease it. Fill the cups to with the warm milk & flour mixture (the mixture must be warm) to 3/4 full.
- Top with a bit of cinnamon sugar and place in the oven.
- Bake for 15 minutes and rotate your pan a half a turn. Bake for 35 more minutes. (Total baking time is 50 minutes.)
- Remove from oven and serve immediately.
These scones are scrumptious. Another recipe I found a couple of years ago, when scrolling through Pinterest looking for things to make with my Poteet strawberries. I love the addition of the tart lemon icing – it pairs so well with the extra sweet strawberries. Just add a cup of coffee and your set. The original recipe is from Baker by Nature.
Strawberry Scones w/Lemon Icing
I found the original recipe on Pinterest at Baker by Nature. I made tweaks for my ease of preparation.
- 2 3/4 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 stick butter (cold & cut up)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3/4 rough chopped strawberries
- Egg wash: 1 egg & 1 TBS heavy cream whisked together
- Icing: Juice of 1 lemon & 1 cup powdered sugar whisked together
- Garnish: Lemon zest
- Heat oven to 400 degrees. Line large cookie sheet with parchment paper. Place another sheet of parchment on the counter for prep that you sprinkle with flour.
- In a food processor, add the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, sugar & zest. Pulse until mixed. Add cut up cold butter & pulse 2-3 times until butter is cut in & the mixture looks coarse. Put mixture in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, mix egg & milk. Add to flour mixture. Fold together with a spatula until everything sticks together.
- Add strawberries and fold in. Some strawberries will want to fall out, but just push back in.
- Turn out the dough onto the floured surface you prepared on your counter. Dust flour on top and use your hands to form a circle. Gently work the dough until it is about 8 inches in diameter.
- Cut the dough circle into 8 wedges. Carefully transfer to your prepared baking sheet lined with parchment.
- Brush the scones with your egg wash.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, until lightly golden on top.
- Let cool for 10 minutes or so.
- Ice each scone with lemon glaze and sprinkle lemon zest on top. Serve with butter on the side.