These scones are scrumptious. Another recipe I found a couple of years ago, when scrolling through Pinterest looking for things to make with my Poteet strawberries. I love the addition of the tart lemon icing – it pairs so well with the extra sweet strawberries. Just add a cup of coffee and your set. The original recipe is from Baker by Nature.
Strawberry Scones w/Lemon Icing
I found the original recipe on Pinterest at Baker by Nature. I made tweaks for my ease of preparation.
- 2 3/4 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 stick butter (cold & cut up)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3/4 rough chopped strawberries
- Egg wash: 1 egg & 1 TBS heavy cream whisked together
- Icing: Juice of 1 lemon & 1 cup powdered sugar whisked together
- Garnish: Lemon zest
- Heat oven to 400 degrees. Line large cookie sheet with parchment paper. Place another sheet of parchment on the counter for prep that you sprinkle with flour.
- In a food processor, add the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, sugar & zest. Pulse until mixed. Add cut up cold butter & pulse 2-3 times until butter is cut in & the mixture looks coarse. Put mixture in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, mix egg & milk. Add to flour mixture. Fold together with a spatula until everything sticks together.
- Add strawberries and fold in. Some strawberries will want to fall out, but just push back in.
- Turn out the dough onto the floured surface you prepared on your counter. Dust flour on top and use your hands to form a circle. Gently work the dough until it is about 8 inches in diameter.
- Cut the dough circle into 8 wedges. Carefully transfer to your prepared baking sheet lined with parchment.
- Brush the scones with your egg wash.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, until lightly golden on top.
- Let cool for 10 minutes or so.
- Ice each scone with lemon glaze and sprinkle lemon zest on top. Serve with butter on the side.