I was always too intimidated to make popovers. After trying several different methods this is my favorite recipe. These popovers are light and fluffy. All you need is some fruit and coffee for a full breakfast. You can also make savory gruyere popovers with just a little tweak. Check it out!
Make Gruyere Popovers: Omit the vanilla, sugar, cinnamon. Add 1 tsp salt. Top with 1-2 TBS grated gruyere cheese.
- 2 cups milk
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 2 TBS sugar
- Dash salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Cinnamon sugar for topping
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place the popover pan in the oven.
- Gently warm milk in a saucepan. When heated through set aside.
- Whisk the eggs until frothy and slowly whisk into the warmed milk. Add in the vanilla and set aside.
- Sift the flour, sugar, salt & cinnamon. Add to the milk mixture & whisk until almost smooth.
- Remove the popover pan from the oven and lightly grease it. Fill the cups to with the warm milk & flour mixture (the mixture must be warm) to 3/4 full.
- Top with a bit of cinnamon sugar and place in the oven.
- Bake for 15 minutes and rotate your pan a half a turn. Bake for 35 more minutes. (Total baking time is 50 minutes.)
- Remove from oven and serve immediately.