Jump to recipe
YOU ARE GONNA THIS TOAST…But, first a bit about my NEW YEARS RESOLUTION. First, I’m gonna keep eating & drinking what I want, in moderation. I really like my Texas bbq & wine…lots of wine. I do admire those dedicated to a plant based or vegan lifestyle for health or sustainability reasons, etc. I follow many accounts dedicated to this & they push me to be a more creative cook, support sustainability & stop wasting food. I like that & am doing simple things like FREEZING FOOD, I might have otherwise let spoil, NO MORE BOTTLED WATER & USING HEALTHIER INGREDIENTS (turbinado sugar instead of processed sugar, etc.). My NEW YEARS RESOLUTION is to continue these efforts. So, with that in mind I present: FREEZER TOAST W/WHIPPED RICOTTA & APPLE PEAR COMPOTE made with all the apples & pears I received in a Christmas fruit basket. Enjoy! This is some yummy stuff!
Freezer Toast w/Whipped Ricotta & Apple Pear Compote
The compote is excellent on oatmeal and ice cream. It can be stored for up to a week in the refrigerator. Freeze after one week.
- Whipped Ricotta:
- 1 1/4 cups fresh ricotta, drained (I use low fat)
- 2 TBS heavy cream
- 1 TBS turbinado sugar
- 1 tsp grated lemon zest
- Apple Pear Compote:
- Juice of 1 orange
- 1/4 cup ginger liqueur
- 4 TBS syrup (I used Tree Hive Maple Syrup + Honey)
- Dash of cinnamon
- 6-7 peeled and chopped apples and pears (I was cleaning out my fridge so I would not waste fruit I received in a gift basket)
- Bread for toasting (I used honey wheat that I had in the freezer)
- Crushed walnuts for garnish
- Place ricotta in a small bowl. Add cream, sugar & lemon zest and whip by hand with a whisk. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- For the Compote, place all the ingredients in a medium sauce pan and cook on medium heat for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Reduce to a simmer. Cook for 30-45 minutes until fruit is at desired tenderness andthe liquid has reduced to a syrup. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Remove desired amount of freezer bread and toast.
- While the freezer bread is toasting, heat your disred amount of compote in the microwave.
- Place a large dollop of the whipped ricotta on the toast and then top with compote. Garnish with some crushed walnuts.