If you have ever been to the Crystal Palace restaurant at the Magic Kingdom, you’ve likely tried this amazing breakfast casserole. There are many renditions of this recipe floating around online. My version captures what we remember about our Disney World visit. We serve this every year for Christmas breakfast. It’s a little labor intensive, but so worth it!
Disney Crystal Palace Breakfast Lasagna
This dish can be made a day ahead. Just be sure to take it out of the fridge an hour ahead of time to bring to room temperature. It may take a little more than 25 minutes, if it is cold when you put it in the oven.
- Pastry Cream:
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 4-6 banana pancakes
- 4-6 waffles
- 1 lb chopped strawberries
- 1 lb blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- I prepare the banana pancakes and waffles a day ahead of time. I use a prepared mix to make it easier.
- For the pastry cream, combine the sugar, flour, salt and milk in a medium saucepan. Whisk over medium heat until thickened.
- Beat the egg yolks & temper by whisking in 1/4 cup of the hot milk mixture. Then add to the remaining milk mixture. Cook over low heat until thickened. Keep in mind you do not want this to be too thick. It should not be of pudding consistency. It should be more of a thickened sauce. Remove from heat, cover and set aside.
- Grease a 9×13 baking dish.
- Place a few tablespoons of pastry cream on the bottom of your baking dish. Cover the bottom of the dish with waffles. Cut waffles to size, if needed. Put a layer of fruit on top of the waffles. Put half of the remaining pastry cream on top of the fruit.
- Now, put the banana pancakes on top. Cut them to size to cover. Placed the fruit in top, reserving a bit of fruit for a final sprinkle. Pour remaining cream evenly over the fruit. Sprinkle with reserved fruit (this is purely for appearance).
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes or until cooked through.