Who doesn’t love a warm, chewy chocolate chip cookie? The original recipe calls for a cup of butter, but I have always found that a cup of shortening delivers a fluffier product. My family certainly agrees!
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (1 stick) shortening
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips or chunks
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- Optional: Sprinkle with salt flakes or for Christmas add red & green sugar sprinkles for a pop of color
- Preheat oven to 375° F
- Combine flour, baking soda and salt in small bowl.
- Beat shortening, granulated sugar, brown sugar, and vanilla extract in large mixer bowl until creamy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Gradually beat in flour mixture.
- Stir in chocolate chips and nuts.
- Drop by rounded tablespoon onto ungreased baking sheets.
- Sprinkle salt flakes or colored sugar sprinkles/crystals, if desired.
- Bake for 9 to 12 minutes or until golden brown
The first time I made these my hubs was like, “Fruitcake cookies? Not sure about that.” Once he tried them, he was hooked! They are so light & so tasty! And, the lemon drizzle ~ YAAAS!!!!
Fruitcake Cookies w/Lemon Drizzle
- 3 Tbsp brandy
- 1 1/4 cups fruitcake mix
- 1 1/4 cups + 1 TBS all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 4 TBS unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Preheat oven to 375ºF. Line two baking sheets with parchment.
- Microwave brandy & fruitcake mix until bubbling, about 45 seconds. Let cool completely.
- In a small bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt
- In your mixer, beat butter, sugar & the egg, until creamy. Reduce speed to low and add half the flour mixture, then sour cream, then remaining flour, mixing until combined after each addition.
- Fold fruit mixture and stir to evenly distribute.
- Drop tablespoons of dough 2 inches apart on to baking sheets. Bake until light golden brown, about 10 to 13 minutes. Cool on wire racks completely.
- Whisk powdered sugar and lemon juice until smooth. Drizzle over cookies and let set.
Aren’t these the sweetest looking cookies. I used my usual recipe for Chocolate Chip Cookies and simply sprinkled with red and green sugar crystals. My recipe for chocolate chip cookies will ensure you have moist, fluffy cookies, because I learned a long time ago to switch out butter for shortening. I used butter flavored shortening for this batch! Enjoy!