Jump to recipe
Who doesn’t love a warm, chewy chocolate chip cookie? The original recipe calls for a cup of butter, but I have always found that a cup of shortening delivers a fluffier product. My family certainly agrees!
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (1 stick) shortening
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips or chunks
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- Optional: Sprinkle with salt flakes or for Christmas add red & green sugar sprinkles for a pop of color
- Preheat oven to 375° F
- Combine flour, baking soda and salt in small bowl.
- Beat shortening, granulated sugar, brown sugar, and vanilla extract in large mixer bowl until creamy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Gradually beat in flour mixture.
- Stir in chocolate chips and nuts.
- Drop by rounded tablespoon onto ungreased baking sheets.
- Sprinkle salt flakes or colored sugar sprinkles/crystals, if desired.
- Bake for 9 to 12 minutes or until golden brown