We’re headed to New Orleans soon and it reminded me to share this recipe. This recipe is super simple and so satisfying. You can use frozen shrimp and okra, so you can make any time of year. Enjoy!
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 3 stalks of celery, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 TBS creole seasoning
- 1 (28 oz) can of diced tomatoes
- 2 cups of rich chicken stock
- 2 links of andouille sausage cut into bite size pieces
- 1 lb medium gulf shrimp, peeled & deveined (fresh or frozen)
- 1-2 cups of okra cut into bite size pieces (fresh or frozen)
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 1 TBS gumbo file
- White rice
- Parsley or thyme for garnish
- In a large cast iron pot, make your roux with the flour & oil. Stir constantly with a wooden spoon until the roux is a dark golden brown (takes about 20-30 minutes).
- Add in vegetables to the roux and sauté for 2-3 minutes. Then add garlic & sauté until fragrant. Add in creole seasoning and sauté for a minute or so.
- Add the tomatoes & chicken stock and bring to a simmer.
- Add in remaining ingredients (except gumbo file). Simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve in bowls with a large spoonful of rice. Garnish with parsley or thyme.
- Note: Salt and pepper is really not needed. The creole seasoning & sausage add the needed saltiness.