Christmas & New Year’s Eve would not be the same without Cheese Enchiladas Con Papitas (with potatoes). They are really easy to make & are sooooo delicious! I serve them with avocado & cilantro. Add some Mexican rice and beans, or serve as is. I served them w/ tamales on the side, but that’s just what we do here is SATX. Happy holidays y’all!
A couple of things that I do that I feel helps out with the calories and makes these easier to make…. For one, I use cooking spray to soften and heat the corn tortilla, instead of heating oil and dipping each tortilla. That is labor intensive & adds a ton of calories. So unnecessary! I also doctor up canned enchilada sauce – you really can’t go wrong and it is a lot less work. And, honestly, more delicious!
Indulge and enjoy!
Cheese Enchiladas con Papitas (Potatoes)
- 36 red corn tortillas
- 2 lbs shredded cheddar cheese
- Pam 100% Natural Fat-Free Cooking Spray
- HEB Mild Enchilada Sauce, or use whatever brand is available in your area
- 1 cup filtered water
- 1 tsp chili powder
- Dash salt
- 1 TBS corn starch
- 2 large baking potatoes
- 1 avocado, sliced
- Cilantro for garnish
- Prepare a greased baking pan or dish. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray 1 side of each corn tortilla with the cooking spray, and stack on a paper plate. Cover with a paper towel and heat in the microwave for 90 seconds. Flip the entire stack, cover and return to microwave for 45 more seconds.
- Place 3 - 4 TBS of shredded cheese in each tortilla and roll. Fill the pan with rolled enchiladas and set aside.
- Peel and cut the potatoes into small cubes. Heat 4-5 TBs of olive in a sauté pan. Add cubes potatoes and brown. Once browned, remove from pan and set aside.
- Place the can of enchilada sauce in a small sauce pan. Heat in low and add chili powder, salt, and corn starch, whisk until smooth. Heat on simmer.
- Bake cheese enchiladas for 15-20 minutes, until cheese is melted.
- Top with enchilada sauce, additional cheese (if desired), fried potatoes, sliced avocado & cilantro.