I’m not gonna lie. I’m not strictly organic & I really love butter, so it’s not one of those “healthy” recipes out there. Doesn’t mean I can’t dabble… So, today I present ORGANIC PUMPKIN FLAN. Just could not pass up a can of organic pumpkin purée I saw when was shopping at Whole Foods. I immediately thought of this recipe & grabbed the organic whipping cream, too. This flan is so easy & so GOOOOD! Maybe for Thanksgiving???
Oh, and obviously, this can made with organic ingredients or not. Enjoy!
- Caramel Sugar
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 12 large egg yolks
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 16-ounce can solid pack pumpkin
- 4 cups whipping cream
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Freshly grated nutmeg for garnish
- Lightly grease 12 ramekins, position rack in lowest third of oven, and preheat oven to 350
- Cook the 1 cup sugar & water in heavy sauce pan over low heat, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Once dissolved stop stirring & continue cooking on medium high heat until caramel in color, about 8 minutes. Immediately divide caramel mixture into the prepared ramekins.
- Place ramekins in a baking pan with at least 3 inch sides
- Mix remaining ingredients, except nutmeg, until smooth and divide into prepared ramekins.
- Add enough very hot water to the baking pan to come half way up sides of ramekins. Place in oven.
- Bake at 350 for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 325 and continue baking until tester comes out clean, about 25 minutes. Custard centers will not be completely set. Remove from oven and water, and cool completely. (Can be prepared a day ahead and chilled.)
- Run knife around edge of each flan and invert onto plate OR eat straight out of the ramekin. Garnish with nutmeg.
Adapted from a recipe I originally clipped from a 1988 Bon Appetit magazine