I was always too intimidated to make popovers. After trying several different methods this is my favorite recipe. These popovers are light and fluffy. All you need is some fruit and coffee for a full breakfast. You can also make savory gruyere popovers with just a little tweak. Check it out!
Make Gruyere Popovers: Omit the vanilla, sugar, cinnamon. Add 1 tsp salt. Top with 1-2 TBS grated gruyere cheese.
- 2 cups milk
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 2 TBS sugar
- Dash salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Cinnamon sugar for topping
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place the popover pan in the oven.
- Gently warm milk in a saucepan. When heated through set aside.
- Whisk the eggs until frothy and slowly whisk into the warmed milk. Add in the vanilla and set aside.
- Sift the flour, sugar, salt & cinnamon. Add to the milk mixture & whisk until almost smooth.
- Remove the popover pan from the oven and lightly grease it. Fill the cups to with the warm milk & flour mixture (the mixture must be warm) to 3/4 full.
- Top with a bit of cinnamon sugar and place in the oven.
- Bake for 15 minutes and rotate your pan a half a turn. Bake for 35 more minutes. (Total baking time is 50 minutes.)
- Remove from oven and serve immediately.
A fellow blogger shared a recipe for this flavorful, highly textured salad. We served it with smoked ribs. The salad is full of grains and greens, which went perfectly with the rich smoked meat. It’s Mediterranean undertones make it particularly divine for any kind of grilled meat or fish. The addition of dried currants or cranberries make it sweet and tangy. This herby, healthy salad is a fun new addition to my salad collection. The original recipe inspiration is from bodyandsoul.com.au/nutrition/healthy-recipes/cypriot-grain-salad.
There are many versions of this recipe – they all have similar ingredients. I used the recipe made famous by Chef George Calombaris. I made a few revisions for my taste. Many recipes call for topping the salad with pomegranates. I would have done that, but could not find any at the grocery store. I also could not locate dried currants, so I used dried cranberries. I also substituted red lentils for put lentils, because that’s what I had in my pantry – I think they worked well.
- 1/2 cup freekeh, cook according to package directions
- 1/4 cup red lentils, prepare according to package directions, but only cook until tender (if you cook the entire time stated on the package they will turn to mush – just drain any excess liquid)
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
- 1/4 cup toasted sliced almonds
- 1/4 cup toasted pumpkin seeds
- 3 TBS capers
- 3/4 cup dried currants or dried cranberries
- 3/4 cup chopped red onion
- 2 cups rough chopped cilantro
- 1 cup rough chopped parsley
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 3-4 TBS olive oil
- Sea Salt & pepper, to taste
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 TBS honey
- More honey for drizzling
- While freekeh and lentils are cooking, toast nuts and place in large bowl.
- Prepare dressing and refrigerate.
- Once the freekeh and lentils are cooled add to bowl with nuts. Add all other salad ingredients and toss.
- Serve the dressing on the side or mix into the prepared salad. Serve chilled.
WINE & SPIRITS
Laissez les bons temps rouler! Qui, cher! It’s Mardi Gras & I’m channeling Arnaud’s with this CARNIVAL COLADA. And, since its Fat Tuesday, I’m enjoying this La Panaderia Kings Cake Rosca with my cocktail! I love that the official colors of Mardi Gras stand for Justice ~ Power ~ Faith. By the way, this cocktail is on the healthy side. It is made with unsweetened almond milk, pineapple juice, coconut rum & Suncore butterfly pea flower super powder for the pretty purple color.
- 1 (6 oz) can pineapple juice
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 oz Malibu coconut rum
- 1 tsp agave honey
- 1 tsp Suncore Butterfly Pea Flower Super Powder
- For garnish: Agave honey, sugar crystals & mint
- Add all ingredients to a blender and mix.
- Rim the glass with honey & then dip in green sugar.
- Fill with crushed ice and pour drink mixture over ice. Garnish with a sprig of mint.