This flavorful, highly textured salad is delicious! We served it with smoked ribs. The salad is full of grains and greens, which went perfectly with the rich smoked meat. It’s Mediterranean undertones make it particularly divine for any kind of grilled meat or fish. The addition of dried currants or cranberries make it sweet and tangy. This herby, healthy salad is a fun new addition to my salad collection.
Australian Cypriot Salad
Category Salads SIDES Uncategorized
There are many versions of this recipe – they all have similar ingredients. I used the recipe made famous by Chef George Calombaris & made a few revisions for my taste.
- 1 cup freekeh
- ½ cup green lentils
- 1 bunch coriander, shredded
- ½ bunch parsley, shredded
- ½ red onion, finely diced
- 1 cup Persian cucumber, chopped small
- 2 tablespoons toasted pumpkin seeds
- 2 tablespoons toasted slivered almonds
- 2 tablespoons toasted pine nuts
- 2 tablespoons baby capers
- ½ cup currants
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive
- Sea salt to taste
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds, toasted and ground
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Pomegranate seeds for garnish
- Blanch freekeh & lentils separately in boiling water until both are just cooked. Do not over cook – you don’t want either to be mushy. Drain & let cool.
- Mix the yogurt, cumin & honey until combined.
- In a medium bowl place the freekeh, lentils, coriander, parsley, red onion, cucumber, toasted nuts, capers, currants, red wine vinegar & olive oil. Toss to mix.
- Place into a serving dish and top with cumin yogurt & pomegranate seeds.
2 comments / Add your comment below
Looks delicious and a easey salad to make for one day Family Reunion Dinner.
My husband and son loved this grainy salad! Really great texture and flavor!