Jump to recipe
I’ve tried many biscuit recipes over the years and this is what I’ve settled on for whenever we have a biscuit craving. The method is simple and they taste great!
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cold butter cut into chunks
- 3 TBS sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup whole milk
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees
- Combine 1 cup of flour and butter in a food processor. Pulse until combined and butter is in pea size pieces.
- In a large bowl, combine the processed flour & butter with the reaming 2 cups of flour. Add in the salt, sugar, baking powder and cream of tartar. Mix to combine.
Add in the milk & egg and mix just until the ingredients are combined. The dough will be sticky. You should be able to see the butter pieces in the dough.
- Turn the dough out onto a generously floured surface. Sprinkle some flour on to the top of dough so it won’t stick to your fingers and knead a few times. If the dough is super sticky just sprinkle on some additional flour.
Pat the dough out to 1 inch thickness and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Cut into equal size pieces with a knife.
Bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until golden brown on top.