I was challenged to develop a vegan recipe for a project I was working on. I just love how these waffles turned out. I did not miss using egg in these waffles. They came out fluffy and yummy. And, this recipe is so versatile – with just a few tweaks they can go from sweet to savory. Definitely going to do more of this type of cooking! I hope you enjoy them as much as I did.
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2 TBS turbinado sugar
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- Dash sea salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 TBS ground flax seed, whisked with 1/4 cup filtered water
- 1 TBS vegetable oil
- 2 cups plant based milk (I used homemade almond milk)
- Cooking spray
- Heat waffle maker.
- Mix dry ingredients in a medium bowl.
- Add vanilla, flax seed mixture, vegetable oil and milk to the dry ingredients. Whisk together, thoroughly.
- Apply a small amount of cooking spray to the top and bottom of the waffle maker. Pour 1/3 cup of mix onto center of waffle maker to make medium size waffles.
- Top waffles with desired toppings. I topped mine with sweetened crème fraîche & powdered sugar, and served it with fruit on the side. Syrup would also be awesome!
– You can easily adjust this recipe to suit your needs. For instance, if you do not want to use nut milk, you can substitute oat milk, etc. – You can also make these waffles savory, by omitting the vanilla & reducing the sugar. – Matcha Waffles: I like to make this recipe by adding 1 tsp matcha powder. I love the green color!