I made this one day after reading a fellow foodies Instagram post about this fab sauce. We just had a party and had a lot of left over veggies from a grazing platter and this was going to be perfect to use them up. It’s rich, flavorful and has a lovely texture. You can use this sauce as a base for a variety of Italian dishes. I’ve even used for a grilled halloumi cheese appetizer. It’s just super versatile.
- 2 TBS olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, rough chopped
- 1 red bell pepper
- 3 carrots
- 3 celery stalks
- 1/2 white onion
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 (28 oz) can San Marzano tomatoes
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- Sea salt & pepper to taste
- In a food processor rough chop the bell pepper, carrots, celery and onion. Set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large pot. Add chopped garlic and sauté until fragrant.
- Add chopped veggies and sauté for 4-5 minutes. Deglaze with white wine.
- Add canned tomatoes and smash until almost smooth. Add salt & pepper to taste. Let simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add a pinch of red pepper flakes and serve with your favorite pasta.