King cakes are synonymous with Mardi Gras! I decided to make my own using store bought pizza dough. They taste homemade, but without all the effort! Just add purple, green & yellow sparkle sugar and you’re good to go! Laissez les bons temps rouler! Qui, cher!
- 1 refrigerated pizza crust from your grocer’s refrigerator section (I used Pillsbury)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 TBS melted butter
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 – 2 TBS milk
- Colored sugar crystals
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Mix cinnamon and sugar together & set aside.
- Remove pizza dough from packaging and roll out onto the prepared baking sheet. Carefully cut in half lengthwise.
- Brush butter on both pieces of dough. Divide cinnamon sugar evenly over each piece of dough.
- Fold each piece of dough over lengthwise. Press the folded side a bit. Now, twist your long piece of folded dough & then form a circle. Pinch where the ends meet.
- Bake for 8 – 10 minutes, until golden.
- While king cake is baking, mix powdered sugar with milk to make a thick frosting. Set aside.
- When cakes are done, remove from oven. Let cool a bit. Then ice & sprinkle with sugar crystals.