This STUFFING is life. Of course, you can call it dressing, too. Whatever floats your boat! I got this recipe from a friend’s dad at least 35 years ago. The first time I tried it I was hooked. My kids would actually put a hit out on me if I stopped making this for turkey day. It’s that good. Shhhhh…the secret is the shredded chicken. Put this on your list for next year!
- Cook 1 chicken breast & 4 chicken thighs on the bone cooked with 1/2 large onion, 1 carrot, 1 celery stalk, 1 bay leaf and S & 0 to taste, until cooked thoroughly and tender
- 2 cups @Pepperidgefarm Herbed Stuffing Mix
- 8 cups dried bread cubes (I buy mine from the bakery @HEB)
- 1/2 large chopped onion
- 1 chopped bell peppers
- 5 chopped celery stalks
- 2 tsp poultry seasoning
- Heat oven to 359 degrees
- Once chicken is cooked, set the chicken aside to cook. Strain broth and continue cooking to reduce about one quarter.
- Place stuffing mix and bread cubes in large bowl
- Sauté the chopped onion, bell pepper & celery in butter until just tender. Add to bow of bread cubes and mix thoroughly.
- Shred cooked chicken and add to bowl if stuffing mix.
- Add reduces broth until dressing is moist
- Bake for 30 minutes or until brown on top. Keep warm until ready to serve.