I got this recipe from a friend’s mom a long long time ago. You know what that means? It’s good! The rich taste will immediately evoke thoughts of cooler temperatures and fall leaves. I make this for Thanksgiving, but it’s super delicious with pork chops, too. The streusel crumble on top is money!!
Southern Sweet Potato Casserole
- 3 large sweet potatoes (adjust accordingly if they are smaller in size), washed, peeled & boiled until soft
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 2 eggs, well beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup milk
- For the topping:
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup flour
- 2/3 cups chopped pecans
- 3 TBS melted butter
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease a 2 quart baking dish.
- While sweet potatoes are cooking, prepare the topping. Mix all topping ingredients, until crumbly. Set aside.
- Mash the boiled sweet potatoes
- Add in the remaining ingredients and mix well. Place in prepared baking dish.
- Spoon pecan topping evenly over the sweet potatoes
- Bake for 25-30 minutes