My local grocery store, HEB, has a hatch chile event every year. I tried this rice dish and immediately knew my family would love it. I was not wrong! I have served it with smoked pork loin, brisket and steak – it was a terrific compliment, each time. I’m afraid this deliciousness is going to be a new, frequently asked for item. My son-in-law was like, “Where have you been hiding this one?!” Uh oh, I already have visions of making this over and over. And, don’t be mad – this is definitely not a low cal or healthy dish. It has all the bad stuff. I mean, good stuff. Yikes!
Hatch Chile & Chicken Casserole
Note: To roast the poblano pepper, simply wash and dry it, and then hold the pepper with tongs over the direct heat on a gas stove on by searing it in a nonstick pan on an electric stove. You want to blister all of the skin. It will look black. Once the skin is blistered, put the pepper in a baggie and seal it. The steam & moisture will aid in removing the skin. After about 30 minute to an hour, remove the pepper and peel it. remove the seeds and slice into small pieces.
Tip: If you live near an HEB, you can purchase their frozen Corn & Poblano Rice, and skip all that extra prep.
- 4 - 6 Boneless chicken thighs, cooked & shredded
- Prepare 1 cup of your favorite white rice, per package directions
- Cut the niblets off of 2 ears of corn or use frozen corn
- 1 poblano pepper, roasted and cut in thin slices
- 2 cups Cookwell & Company Two Step Green Chile Stew Mix (It is sold @HEB in a 32 oz jar - I use it for various dishes & freeze individual portions for quick use. Can be ordered online.)
- 1 (8 oz) Velveeta Cheese, cut in cubes
- 1 TBS Adams Reserve Hatch Green Chile Ranch Rub
- Grill, bake or poach the chicken thighs until done. Set aside to cool and then shred.
- Prepare the rice and set aside to cool.
- Cook the corn niblets in a sauce pan with butter until tender. Set aside.
- Heat the stew mix and add the velveeta cheese. Stir occasionally, until the cheese is melted. Add the ranch rub and combine well.
- Add the prepared rice, corn, poblano and shredded chicken to the chili and cheese mixture. Combine well.
- Placed the entire mixture into a greased dish. Heat at 350 degrees for 15 - 20 minutes, until slightly bubbly. Serve immediately.