Jump to recipe
My mom always called this prune cake, but since I made this with plums I’m calling it plum cake. It’s a simple recipe and so delicious. More importantly, it reminds me of my mom. My family really loves this cake. It’s not too sweet and is perfect for this stone fruit.
- 3 lbs plums or prunes – washed, pitted & quartered
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 2/3 cup milk
- Topping: 3-4 TBS cinnamon sugar (I mix 1 tsp cinnamon with 1 cup of sugar stored in a jar)
- Preheat oven to 425°. Grease a jelly roll pan. (The typical jelly roll pan is around 10 x 15 inches.)
- Place the dry ingredients in the food processor and pulse until mixed
- Add in the butter and pulse until the mixture looks grainy
- Add in the milk, egg and vanilla & pulse until incorporated. Don’t over mix. Dough will be heavy.
- Spread dough evenly on prepared pan. Place plum quarters in rows on the dough. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until dough is golden brown. Place foil under pan to catch any fruit juice that may boil over.
- Remove from oven & cool. Serve by itself or with whipped cream. Refrigerate remaining cake.