Jump to recipe
It’s still not fall in San Antonio, but I couldn’t wait to prepare a fall dish another day. I served this light side dish with two meals. I made Chicken Shawarma one day, and falafel on another. This rice was super delicious with both entrees. Now, all I need is a cool breeze!
- 4 cups of pumpkin or butternut squash, cut into small pieces
- 1 cup of brown rice
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 green onions, sliced
- Dash oof cinnamon, nutmeg & cloves
- 1 tsp Lawry’s Seasoned Salt
- 1 tsp fresh cracked pepper
- 1 TBS butter
- 5 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 1 whole habanero pepper (optional)
- 2 3/4 cups vegetable stock
- In a large stock pot, sauté the onions & garlic until transparent.
- Add the seasonings, seasoned salt, black pepper & thyme, and saute for 1-2 minutes, until fragrant.
- Add the pumpkin along with the vegetable stock and stir until seasoning is incorporated.
- Add the rice and bring to a boil.
- Add the butter and the habanero (optional), and reduce the heat to a simmer.
- Cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes, until all liquid is absorbed.
- Remove from heat and leave covered for 15 minutes.
- Keep dish warm until ready to serve.