Jump to recipe
I really sharpened my knife skills on this one! This salad is crunchy, fresh and full of flavor. I chose to make this dish to work on my knife skills & boy did I get a work out. Our teacher at the Culinary Institute Plant Forward Boot Camp took time out to demonstrate the proper use of a knife and how to cut in a variety of ways. I actually got pretty good at elliptical cutting. Either way, I think you will enjoy this salad!
Fennel Salad w/Orange Vinaigrette & Spiced Cashews by The Culinary Institute of America
A few changes were made to the original recipe.
- 2 bulbs fennel, thinly sliced
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 6 stalks celery, trimmed & thinly sliced on the bias
- 1/2 cup parsley, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- Sea salt & pepper to taste
- 1 TBS orange zest
- Spiced Roasted Cashews:
- 2 cups raw cashews
- 1 TBS butter, melted
- 1 1/2 tsp curry powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- Dash cayenne
- Sea salt to taste
- Toss all prepared salad ingredients in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Combine vinaigrette ingredients in a small bowl & whisk. Cover & set aside.
- Toast nuts in a medium skillet until heated. Add butter & coat evenly. Combine spices and toss to coat nuts. Place nuts on a single layer on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper. Bake for 8-10 minutes at 350 degrees, until golden brown. Remove from oven and cool. When cool, rough chop the nuts.
- Toss salad with dressing, and top with spiced nuts.