My mom’s waffle maker has been calling my name ever since I got back from our trip to NYC. It’s a vintage Sunbeam that has to be at least 70 years old. It makes the best waffles! So, I made these CHOCOLATE WAFFLES WITH BALSAMIC CHERRY COMPOTE, this morning. Wow. Wow. Wow. I finished them with a dollop of vanilla yogurt, cacao nibs & a dusting of powdered sugar. Got my inspiration from Olive & Mango and it was well worth the effort. Made a few changes to the recipe to make it a little less complicated for me. (Took me 45 minutes, start to finish) You need to make these ASAP ~ this combo is beyond scrumptious.
- I used Betty Crocker Bisquick Heart Smart Pancake & Baking Mix & followed the waffle recipe on the back of the box. I reduced the amount of mix by 1/4 cup and added 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa and 1/4 brown sugar.
- Vanilla yogurt and cacao nibs for garnish
- 2 cups fresh pitted cherries
- Strip of orange rind
- Dash of cinnamon
- 1/4 cup of balsamic vinegar
- 3 tbsp honey
- Pinch of salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Prepare waffles and top with compote and a dollop of vanilla yogurt & cacao nibs
- In a small sauce pan combine cherries, orange rind, cinnamon, vinegar, honey, salt and pepper
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, and stir well. Reduce heat to low & simmer for 8 to 10 minutes, until slightly thickened.
- Transfer to bowl and refrigerate until cool
Adapted from Olive & Mango www.oliveandmango.com