This basic Pavlova recipe is easy! It gets its Christmas feel from the berries and fruit I selected to top it. A perfect sweet treat for a special celebration.
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 TBS cornstarch
- 6 egg whites
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- Whipped heavy cream for garnish
- Fruit for the topping
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Draw an 8 inch circle on the paper, ink side down. Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Whisk the sugar and cornstarch together. Set aside.
- In a large mixer with the whisk attachment, beat egg whites until frothy. Add the cream of tartar & salt while continuing to beat on medium high.
- Now add the sugar/cornstarch mixture one tablespoon at a time while continuing to beat on medium high. Beat the egg whites until hard peaks form. The mixture will look smooth and shiny.
- Add the vanilla extract & vinegar while continuing to beat. Once incorporated stop mixing.
- Transfer the prepared egg white mixture to your parchment paper. Carefully place inside the circle & make a shallow well in the center.
- Bake for 50 minutes at 300 degrees. Turn off the oven. Leave the Pavlova in the oven with the door ajar for 1 1/2 to 2 hours to finish. While in the oven the cake will collapse & crack a bit. You don’t want it to crack too much, because then you won’t be able to pick up the Pavlova for plating, later.
- Move your baked meringue very carefully to a serving dish. Top with whipped cream & fruit. Keep refrigerated.