Merry Christmas Eve! My mom always hosted Christmas Frühstück (Breakfast) for our family. I have kept up the tradition, adding & refining our menu, each year. A staple is & always will be her GERMAN PANCAKES. They are really like a crepe ~ very thin & light. I served these crepes w/plum compote, cherries & syrup. Fruit & jam are also lovely additions. You can find the plum compote recipe here: Gingerbread Pancakes with Ginger Plum Compote. Enjoy!
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 TBS vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 3 cups milk (I use 1% milk)
- Mix ingredients in large bowl. Place in refrigerator for 10-15 minutes before making pancakes.
- Heat a small sauté pan to medium-high. I use a non-stick pan so 6ag I do not need to grease the pan.
- Pour only enough batter to cover the pan in a thin layer. You will need to tilt the lan in a swirling motion to coat the entire bottom. Cook until bottom is browned and carefully flip with a spatula. Brown on other side for a few seconds and stack on a plate.
- Serve immediately, or store in the refrigerator covered with plastic wrap.
- Serve with syrup, fruit or jam - or whatever else sounds good to you!
These pancakes are great to make ahead. I always prepare them the day before and simply microwave the entire stack in the microwave a minute or so.