Jump to recipe
Merry Christmas! I had a a bunch of leftover cranberries and thought that adding them to some banana bread might be kind of festive. The bread turned out great, and with the sugar glaze and walnuts I added to the top it was extra special. A perfect side to add to my Christmas breakfast!
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup mashed banana (about 2 medium)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup milk (I use 1% milk)
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped fresh cranberries
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 TBS half and half
- 1/3 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts (for sprinkling over the glaze)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a 9 x 5″ loaf pan. Cream sugar and butter together in a medium mixing bowl until well blended. Add banana, vanilla, milk, and eggs, mixing well. Add flour and baking powder, mixing just until moist. Stir in nuts and cranberries. Spread batter evenly in loaf pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 65 to 75 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center of bread comes out clean. Let loaf cool a few minutes in the pan and then remove from pan and cool completely. Makes 1 loaf.
- Mix powdered sugar and half and half together, blending well. Add vanilla. This will make a thicker, creamy glaze. Spoon glaze over the top of your cooled loaf, then sprinkle with nuts. Let glaze set and serve.