Jump to recipe
Remember the Shawarma White Sauce I posted about the other day… Well, here is the chicken they made on the Today Show to go with that sauce. It was shared by Ayesha Nurdjaja, the executive chef of Shuka in NYC. This chicken has an incredible flavor and was very easy to prepare. We really enjoyed eating this chicken in butter lettuce leaves. Yum!
This was adapted from the original recipe shared by Ayesha Nurdjaja, the executive chef of Shuka in New York, on the Today Show.
- 3 garlic cloves
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- Juice of 1 large lemon
- 1 TBS turmeric
- 1 TBS cinnamon
- 1 TBS freshly ground black pepper
- 1 TBS cumin
- 1 TBS smoked spicy paprika
- 10 – 12 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 2 medium white onions, sliced
- To Serve:
- Bibb lettuce leaves
- Sliced red cabbage
- Cilantro, parsley and mint
- Harissa sauce
- Add garlic to a blender with 1 teaspoon of olive oil and a pinch of salt and process until smooth.
- Transfer the mixture to a large bowl and add the rest of the olive oil, lemon juice & spices. Whisk to combine well.
- Add chicken and onions to the bowl and mix until covered well with the spice mixture. Cover and refrigerate for a minimum of 12 hours or up to 48.
- Preheat oven 425°F.
- Place chicken on a foiled & parchment paper lined baking tray (do not overcrowd the tray; use two if needed). Place in oven for 30-40 minutes and cook until chicken is cooked through & edges are crispy.