Jump to recipe
This hearty soup is my mom’s recipe. It kind of reminds me of an Irish stew, my reason for sharing this in a series of St. Patrick’s Day recipes. You could easily eliminate the sausage and make this vegan. Either way, this soup is flavorful and feels like a hug!
You could easily make this vegan, by taking out the sausage and using vegetable broth, instead of chicken broth.
- 1 large sausage link, cut into bite size pieces (About 2-3 cups. You can use any sausage you like. I usually use beef, but chicken sausage would well, too)
- 2 bay leaves
- Sea salt & pepper to taste
- 6 cups of chicken broth
- 1 cup lentils (I usually use green lentils)
- 3 carrots, chopped into bite size chunks
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 2 medium potatoes, chopped into bite size chunks
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Chopped parsley for garnish
- Put everything in a large stock pot, except the potatoes & lemon.
- Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer for 30-40 minutes. Add the potatoes and return to a boil. Simmer for another 15 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender.
- Just before serving add the lemon juice. Garnish with chopped parsley.