Jump to recipe
No April foolin’ around with this French Toast ~ this here is the real deal! Made it with the extra-thick sliced special sour-white loaf (toned down sourdough bread) from my local bakery, The Bread Box. It was then soaked in heavy cream, eggs, cinnamon & vanilla. YASSS! Topped it with fresh whipped cream & Poteet strawberries roasted w/maple syrup, vanilla & thyme. Don’t be an April Fool – make your family this special treat!
French Toast w/Roasted Strawberries
If you feel your dipping mixture is too thick, add more milk.
Once you make a few slices of French toast, you may need to add more cinnamon to the milk & egg mixture, so that all pieces get cinnamon.
- 8 thick slices of white bread (I used the sour-white from The Bread Box)
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup low fat milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Dash salt
- Butter for the griddle
- Syrup and fruit for topping
- Heat a griddle to 375 degrees.
- In a baking dish large enough to hold your bread slice, mix all ingredients except the butter, toppings & bread.
- Once the griddle is heated, dip both sides of the bread in the egg & milk mixture. Do not let the bread soak for too long. Place a pat of butter on the griddle and immediately place the dipped bread on top of the butter to cook.
- Both sides should be golden brown when finished cooking. Serve immediately, with desired toppings.