Jump to recipe
This amazing cornbread is from my 2010 Southern Living Annual Recipes cookbook. It is hands down the best cornbread I have ever made. Once I used this version of cornbread, I have never found a recipe that can top it. I made a slight tweak because I can no longer find self-rising white cornmeal mix. My family loves this cornbread so much that they ask for it for Thanksgiving dinner.
Note: This recipe was adapted from the 2010 Southern Living Annual Recipes. For a variation, you could add 1/4 cup chopped & sautéed fresh jalapeño.
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter
- 1 (8 oz) container sour cream
- 2 large eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 (8 oz) can of creamed corn
- 1 cup white cornmeal
- 1 TBS baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Heat butter in a 9-inch cast iron skillet or cake pan in the oven, until melted. Remove and set aside.
- Mix cornmeal, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- Combine, sour cream, eggs & corn in a medium bowl. Whisk in cornmeal mixture, until just combined.
- Whisk in melted butter.
- Make sure skillet or pan is greased with remaining butter on the bottom and sides. Pour in the batter.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until slightly golden on the top.