This chickpea elbow pasta topped with chickpea crumbs is so good in this upgraded macaroni and cheese dish. This would make a great addition to your Thanksgiving menu! And, guest what? The leftovers were awesome all by their lonesome the next day!
- 1 box chickpea elbow macaroni (I used Eat Banza)
- 4 TBS butter
- 2 TBS flour
- 1/2 cup pasta liquid
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup hatch chile sauce or your favorite hot sauce
- 3 cups cups grated white cheese (I used fontina, parmesan, asiago and mozzarella)
- 1/2 cup chickpea crumbs (I used Watusee)
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Reserve 1/2 cup of pasta liquid before draining.
- Heat butter and add flour. Mix until smooth and the flour is lightly browned.
- Whisk in pasta liquid, milk & sour cream.
- Add in hot sauce.
- Add in 1 1/2 cups of the cheese. Mix well.
- Return the cooked pasta to the pan & fold together well.
- Top with remaining cheese and chickpea crumbs.