Jump to recipe
It’s cold outside! This spicy soup is both comforting and fresh! From the rich red broth, the crisp toppings, to the tender shredded chicken, this hearty soup will warm your soul.
- For Chicken and Stock:
- 2 chicken breasts and 4 chicken thighs (on the bone & w/skin)
- 1 carrot
- 1/2 onion (save other half for later use)
- 1 celery stock
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- For Finishing Soup:
- Other half of onion, chopped
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- Olive oil
- 1 14.5 oz can of Mild Enchilada Sauce
- 1 small can of chopped green chilies
- 1 tsp each of chili powder & cumin
- Dash of cayenne
- 1 - 2 TBS Better than Bouillon Chicken has
- Salt to taste
- 30 oz can of White Hominy
- 1 tsp of Mexican oregano
- 1 cup roughly chopped cilantro
- 3-4 thinly sliced radishes
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 1-2 avocados, sliced
- Cover chicken & veggies w/salted water & boil until tender (about 30 minutes). Remove chicken and let cool. Strain broth and discard vegetables.
- Sauté 1 cup of chopped onion, 2 minced garlic cloves and can of green chilies in olive oil until tender. Add to broth.
- Add a 14.5 oz. can of mild red enchilada sauce and the chili powder, cumin & cayenne to the broth
- Shred the cooled chicken while the broth simmers
- Add the shredded chicken, 1 tsp of Mexican oregano and a 30 oz. can of white hominy. Add salt & chicken bouillon, to taste. Continue simmering for 30-40 minutes.
- Prepare roughly chopped cilantro, thinly sliced radishes, chopped red onion and sliced avocado for garnish
- Serve in a bowl & squeeze a quarter lime on top & indulge!