It’s cold outside! This spicy soup is both comforting and fresh! From the rich red broth, the crisp toppings, to the tender shredded chicken, this hearty soup will warm your soul.
- For Chicken and Stock:
- 2 chicken breasts and 4 chicken thighs (on the bone & w/skin)
- 1 carrot
- 1/2 onion (save other half for later use)
- 1 celery stock
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- For Finishing Soup:
- Other half of onion, chopped
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- Olive oil
- 1 14.5 oz can of Mild Enchilada Sauce
- 1 small can of chopped green chilies
- 1 tsp each of chili powder & cumin
- Dash of cayenne
- 1 - 2 TBS Better than Bouillon Chicken has
- Salt to taste
- 30 oz can of White Hominy
- 1 tsp of Mexican oregano
- 1 cup roughly chopped cilantro
- 3-4 thinly sliced radishes
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 1-2 avocados, sliced
- Cover chicken & veggies w/salted water & boil until tender (about 30 minutes). Remove chicken and let cool. Strain broth and discard vegetables.
- Sauté 1 cup of chopped onion, 2 minced garlic cloves and can of green chilies in olive oil until tender. Add to broth.
- Add a 14.5 oz. can of mild red enchilada sauce and the chili powder, cumin & cayenne to the broth
- Shred the cooled chicken while the broth simmers
- Add the shredded chicken, 1 tsp of Mexican oregano and a 30 oz. can of white hominy. Add salt & chicken bouillon, to taste. Continue simmering for 30-40 minutes.
- Prepare roughly chopped cilantro, thinly sliced radishes, chopped red onion and sliced avocado for garnish
- Serve in a bowl & squeeze a quarter lime on top & indulge!