This is a delicious & simple soup that can be made as a vegan version. It’s very satisfying and a great addition to your soup repertoire. Who else loves cozy soups?
- 1 TBS olive oil
- 1 small white onion, diced
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 cup diced celery
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 6 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 (15 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups orzo pasta
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 4 cups loosely-packed spinach
- Sea salt & pepper, to taste
- Parmesan cheese for garnish
- Heat oil in a large stock pot over medium-high heat. Add onion & sauté until soft. Add carrots, celery & garlic and sauté until garlic is fragrant.
- Add stock, tomatoes, orzo & spices. Stir to combine. Bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally. Add sea salt & pepper, to taste.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 – 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the pasta is al dente.
- When ready to serve, ladle a portion in a bowl and add spinach on top and gently stir in. I always add the spinach into each individual serving so it stays fresh & bright.
- Serve warm. Garnish with Parmesan cheese, if desired.