We have a Mexican restaurant here in town that makes the best carne guisada. I’ve studied it for years and this is as close as it gets. Enjoy!
This recipe makes quite a bit. You can certainly reduce your amounts for a smaller portion.
This can also be made in a crockpot.
- 4 lbs stew meat – I buy mine at Costco
- Olive oil
- 1/2 onion
- 1 large tomato or 1 can dices tomatoes
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 1/2 tsp ground comino
- Sea salt & pepper
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 3-4 TBS flour
- Preheat oven to 350°. Season stew meat with sea salt & pepper. Brown the meat in some olive oil and place in large cast iron pot. Set aside.
- Process the onion, tomato & garlic in a blender until smooth. Add to browned stew meat and mix.
- Add the ground comino & chicken stock. Mix together and cover.
- Braise in the oven for 2 hours. Remove from oven and take out 1 cup of the liquid. Reduce heat to 325°.
- Return to the oven & continue braising until meat is fork tender. This may take another 1-2 hours.
- Add flour to reserved liquid & whisk until smooth.
- Remove the meat from oven when tender and incorporate the flour mixture. Return to the oven for another 20-30 minutes or heat on the stove to thicken the sauce.
- Serve with desired sides & tortillas.