Jump to recipe
When we were in Barcelona, Spain a couple of years ago, this was a popular tapa served in many restaurants. I decided to recreate it, and was it ever delicious! Just the right amount of sweetness, heat and tang! The grated cojito cheese was perfect for this dish!!
Crispy Eggplant w/Honey & Cheese
- 2 small eggplants or 4 baby eggplants
- Sea salt
- Olive oil
- Honey, grated cojito cheese, Allepo red pepper & parsley for garnish
- Wash and then thinly slice your eggplant on a mandolin. I sliced mine at the 1/8 setting. Lay the slices single layer on a tray lined with parchment paper. Sprinkle all the slices with sea salt. Let sit for 30-45 minutes to sweat out most of the liquid.
- Once the allotted time has passed, pat all the pieces dry with paper towels. This will also remove most of the sea salt. Set aside.
- In a shallow dish, add 1 – 2 cups of all purpose flour.
- Heat 1/2 cup olive oil on medium high heat.
- Dredge the eggplant slices in the flour, a few at a time.
- Place the floured slices in the heated oil and lightly brown on both sides. They will brown quickly, so you have to work fast.
- Serve immediately with a drizzle of honey, a sprinkle of Allepo red pepper and a generous amount of cheese. Finish with chopped parsley.