We’ve got a fabulous steak house here in San Antonio that serves the absolute best jalapeño Mac & Cheese. The recipe was published in the local paper, so I had to make it! Here is my take on what has become a family favorite.
- 1 lb pasta shells, prepared according to package directions (I used Banza Chickpea Pasta)
- 1/2 cup chopped canned pickled jalapeño (reserve 1/4 cup of the juice)
- 1 3/4 cups heavy cream
- 3 cups shredded Velveeta cheese (I used half white & half yellow)
- Fresh jalapeño and chives for garnish
- Heat oven to 400 degrees. Grease a 9×13 baking dish.
- Purée the jalapeños
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the jalapeño juice and cream.
- Place the prepared pasta shells in a large bowl. Add the cheese, puréed jalapeño, and the jalapeño juice & cream. Toss to evenly mix.
- Pour into the prepared dish and cover tightly with foil.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes. If desired, uncover & broil for 3-4 minutes to brown the top.
- Garnish with slices of fresh jalapeño & chopped chives, if desired.
This recipe is adapted from the original published the San Antonio Express News, Taste section.