This, by far, is my most requested recipe (next to my Banana Split Pie ). My son is coming home for July 4th, and what does he ask for…THIS. I just made this for a dinner party we had for a dear friend and it was a big hit. I mean, I had folks texting me the day requesting the recipe. It really is that good. And, here’s a secret ~ it’s super easy, and you can make a day ahead, if needed. It’s perfect for large gatherings and goes with just about everything!
- 8 large gold or white potatoes, washed
- 1 bunch green onions, washed and trimmed
- 8 strips of crispy bacon
- 1 stick of good butter
- 1 (8 oz) container of sour cream (I use low fat)
- 4 cups grated cheddar cheese
- Sea salt and pepper
- Paprika for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a large baking dish.
- Place washed potatoes in salted water in a large stock pot. Cook until very tender.
- While potatoes are cooking, place green onions & bacon in food processor. Pulse until rough chopped. Set aside.
- Drain cooked potatoes and return to pot. Add butter to cooked potatoes. Let it melt. Once it is melted, use a potato masher to smash the potatoes. You just want them slightly mashed. In other words, you will have small chunks of potatoes.
- Add in the remaining ingredients and season with salt and pepper. Mix well. Place potato mixture in your prepared dish. Sprinkle with a bit of paprika.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until edges are bubbly.