Jump to recipe
My granddaughter named this cake and she asks for it every July 4th. I originally found the recipe on Tasty, although they provide it more through instructions than a list of ingredients, and do not include a frosting recipe. I have included my favorite vanilla frosting in the attached recipe. Either way, we love it!
Here is the Tasty link with a great demo: https://www.google.com/amp/s/tasty.co/recipe/marbled-4th-of-july-box-cake
- 2 boxes of white cake mix (I make mine with the recommended oil and eggs, but I use milk, instead of water)
- Red and blue food coloring
- 2 sticks of butter, softened
- 4 cups of powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 (7 oz) container of marshmallow fluff
- Red and blue hard candy (I used Jolly Ranchers – I used 12 red and 6 blue ones)
- 3 skewers
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease three 8 inch cake pans. Put a parchment paper circle on the bottom of each pan.
- Prepare both boxes of cake mix, according to package directions. Divide into 3 bowls. You are going to marble the cake so that it is red, white and blue. Add red food coloring to one if the bowl and blue to another, and mix thoroughly.
- Scoop red, white and blue cake mix into each pan and swirl.
- Bake accordingly to package directions.
- While cake is baking, prepare your frosting.
- Beat the butter until fluffy. Add in half of the powdered sugar and mix. Add in the cream, vanilla and remaining powdered sugar. Mix well.
- Add the marshmallow fluff to the frosting and whip until fluffy. Remove two 3 TBS portions of frosting into separate bowls, and add red and blue food coloring, and mix well. Set aside.
- When cake is done, remove from the oven and cool on a rack.
- Cut tops of each cake, so that you have an even surface.
- Put frosting between each layer, sides and top of cake. Dab small bits of red and blue frosting on the sides of the cake, only. Using a spatula smooth the red and blue frosting around the sides.
- To make the firecracker (really they look like fireworks) toppers, set out a sheet of parchment paper and place 3 skewers on the paper. Melt the hard candy in microwave safe bowl for 1 minute. Drizzle the melted candy back and forth to create the shape of an exploding firework. Start with the red and then do the blue candy. Let cool to harden.
- Garnish cake with the candy fireworks, and serve.