Jump to recipe
My mom used to have her friends over all the time for a “kaffeeklatsch” and she would serve all kinds of coffee cake. This is one of my favs. It’s moist and bursting with blueberries. Enjoy! (Tap the picture to head to the recipe!)
Lemon Blueberry Coffee Cake
- ½ cup butter, softened
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 3/4 cup flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups fresh blueberries (rinsed & tossed with 1/4 cup flour)
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 1 TBS sugar for topping
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease an 8 inch square pan. I also line it with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Cream butter, lemon zest and sugar in a large bowl, until light & fluffy. Add the egg and vanilla. Beat until combined. I used a hand mixer.
- Combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Add half of the flour mixture to the batter, and using a spatula fold it in. Add all of the buttermilk & incorporate. Add remaining flour and fold in.
- Fold in the blueberries coated with flour.
- Put batter in prepared pan. Sprinkle with a tablespoon of sugar.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes. Cake is done when toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool.