Jump to recipe
I’ve been making these cookies for a loooong time. The lemon flavor and coconut makes them extra special. They’re crispy on the outside & chewy on the inside. Get busy & then go grab a big glass of milk. Yum!
- 1 cup shortening (I use Crisco)
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 TBS lemon extract
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups oatmeal, uncooked
- 1 1/2 cups shredded coconut (reserve 1/2 cup for top of cookies)
- Preheat oven to 375°. Prepare a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugars.
- In a small bowl, mix flour, soda and salt.
- Add the egg & beat until a lemony in color.
- Blend in flour mixture and extracts.
- Mix in oats and 1 cup of coconut.
- Drop mixture by tablespoons on your prepared cookie sheet. Press a bit of shredded coconut on top of each cookie.
- Bake for 8 minutes or until toasty on top.