This rice is so flavorful and it’s an awesome accompaniment to grilled meats & chicken. The whole house smells so fragrant while this is simmering on the stove. Just use a great creole seasoning & fresh herbs. Yum!
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- Olive oil
- 2 cups long grain white rice
- 2 – 3 tsp creole seasoning
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, rinsed & drained
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- Fresh limes & thyme for garnish
- In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium high heat. Add onions & garlic. Sauté until fragrant.
- Add the rice & sauté until lightly brown, about 2 minutes.
- Add the creole seasoning, beans & chicken broth. Mix until combined and add the thyme & bay leaves on top.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer & cover. Cook for about 15 to 20 minutes or until rice is tender & liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat & let sit for at least 20 minutes.
- Fluff rice with a spoon or fork. Garnish with additional fresh thyme & limes.