Jump to recipe
HAPPY NEW YEAR! In Texas, eating black-eyed peas to ring in the new year is supposed to bring good luck & prosperity. My mom used to put on a hot pot of these yummies & we would drop by for a bowl full on New Years Day. Since we are having friends over for dinner, I thought why not incorporate them into an appetizer ~ so, here ya go! BLACK-EYED PEA SALSA DIP, chocked full of tomatoes, fresh corn, red onion, avocado, cilantro & black-eyed peas. Cheers to a fab new year, y’all!
- 1/2 jar of That Green Sauce (Sold at HEB Grocery Store - can be ordered online)
- 1 (8 oz) cream cheese, softened
- 12 oz of tomatoe, red onion, jalapeño & cilantro salsa (Pico de Gallo) - you can buy this pre-made at many stores
- 1 cup black-eyed peas (or black beans)
- 1 cup fresh corn (or frozen)
- 1 avocado, cut into chunks
- Juice of 1/2 lemon or lime
- Cilantro for garnish
- Mix all of the ingredients together with a spatula. Can be made several hours in advance. Simply place plastic wrap directly on the top of the dip and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve with your choice of chips. I use pita chips or tortilla chips.